Friday 2 November 2007

BAE Barrow Snub The Falklands Islands People.


HMS Invinsible


A number a weeks ago I contacted BAE in my home town of Barrow-in-Furness. I wrote a long letter about my return to the Islands in November and how we had been asked to bring a gift for the Islanders. I explained the links we have with the Falklands War and the Royal Navy in general. Barrow yard built HMS Invinsible HMS Hermes and sadly HMS Sheffield. At some point during my trip I will be meeting with the Governer of the Falklands Islands and other local Government and I thought it would be fitting to hand over something like a framed picture of the Ships we built. I waited and never heard anything back, I assumed wrongly that it was because of the postal strike. When I telephoned BAE on Chris Nelsons extension I spoke to a very unhelpful lady who said she didn’t get my letter and that she didn’t think she could help me as “They built submarines” Oh well my mistake for having anything to do with the UKs biggest arms manufacturer, they are obviously not that big on PR. I feel they have done a great diservice not to me but to the thousands of local Barrow men who built those fine RN ships.



© Mack (RG) The thoughts of a Falklands War Veteran.Rogue_gunner_32_alpha@yahoo.co.uk

Boycott BP

1 comment:

  1. Having grown up in Barrow myself (and worked for VSEL in the past (before they became BAE Systems)) I'm shocked at their attitude. I'd suggest you spoke to the wrong person. Maybe a letter to the chairman might help?

    ReplyDelete

Pointless leaving spam it wont be published.