Friday 18 January 2013

PTSD plus Tinnitus Make Everyday Noise Tough to Take




When Marc Fagelson, PhD, a professor of audiology at East Tennessee State University, noticed that some of his tinnitus patients rated themselves as more troubled by the condition than others, he completed an extensive chart review. These patients all had one thing in common: post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).“The first inkling I had that there might be some kind of relation came from clinical experience observing the patients I saw in the VA clinic,” Dr. Fagelson said. “The ones who had PTSD almost invariably were more bothered by their tinnitus than the patients who didn't.”Interactions between a person's psychological state and tinnitus are known to exist with respect to depression, anxiety, obsessive-compulsive disorder, and a variety of other conditions. What makes the connection between tinnitus and PTSD special is the presence of overlapping neurological associations. Read More HERE



I have Tinnitus and PTSD and I'm sure having PTSD makes it all worse. I was given two hearing aids, I tried them but they didn't make any difference. I keep having panic attacks about hearing this awful noise for the rest of my life, most days the thought of suicide is in my mind, but I want to fight it but it seems impossible, I have had tinnitus for years but I used to only hear it when it was very quiet like at bed time, now its all the time. I recently went to a New Year party with my wife, I didn't drink and drove, there was a group playing and a lot of the people sat around the tables moved to the next room so they could talk, even with this loud group playing I could still hear my Tinnitus. I don't know what else to try, I do my Blog to keep myself active and walk my dog but my life is one big noise in both ears, I feel like I have been cursed.

Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pointless leaving spam it wont be published.