Wednesday 19 May 2010

Strike Back The New Military Comedy On Sky




I wasn’t going to watch this new series
Strike Back on Sky 1, but my partner mistakenly thought it would be right up my street and sky plused it for me. I assumed that it would be something along the lines of `Ultimate Farce` and I was not wrong. I have not read the book by Chris Ryan and I have the utmost respect for the former SAS man who can actually walk the walk, Literally across the Iraqi desert into Syria, in the first Gulf War and the disastrous Bravo two Zero mission. I can only assume that once it was turned into a television soap opera, the writing was on the wall. I also ruined another TV series for my partner who used to love the Bill, until I used to laugh at the Plod following a suspect bumper to bumper with a huge radio stuck to their ear, then they would proceed to park outside the targets home address, in full view. I can imagine genuine police used to cringe at this like I do when watching this latest SAS drama. In episode 1 Porter the lead character goes on an SAS mission in Iraq. The team set off in a Vietnam era Hughy dressed in a combination of US & British camouflage, sporting US helmets but goes horribly wrong and two SAS soldiers are killed, but he rescues a child suicide bomber by cutting the correct wires on his bomb (Well he would wouldn’t he?) They even bring a woman along with them into combat which would not happen in real life, but we all need a bit of eye candy. The result of it all going tits up, leads to Porter leaving the army and developing the now `Obligatory `PTSD and becoming a Parking Attendant which in reality he would probably have been paid better than his military job. A few parking tickets down the line a British television reporter is kidnapped by Iraqi insurgents. Due to The Labour Governments handling of our military and especially our Special Forces they are forced to call back up mentally ill car park attendant. You know the drill he shoves a penknife up his arse kills half of the Insurgent army single handed and rescues the hostage to briefly summarise, Oh yeah and due to Labours defence cuts they still use the same old helicopter, seems sky could borrow the US clothing but fell short of a Black Hawk chopper. It gets even better in the next episode where Porter has to break into the toughest prison in Zimbabwe, to break out Yes you guessed it another ex SAS soldier that MI6 sent to assassinate Robert Mugabe , he manages it of course, but the best part for me in this is where Porter takes a high velocity round straight through his back and exited his stomach from a AK. A minor set back, a little gun powder set alight in the wound and a bandage wrapped around and he is back on his feet quicker than a MP can put in a false account for stationary. 10 out of 10 for entertainment.


Bookmark and Share




Remember not to shove a pen knife up your arse kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pointless leaving spam it wont be published.