Wednesday 4 April 2007

The Falklands War 3/10



(RG) As this is the 25th anniversary of the Falklands war with each video clip I am including one of my poems.

`Green Maggot`

The war rages on and the cold bites my soul
My fingers are numb and I laugh at my blood
But I know I will be ok in the ice tonight
Ive got my `green maggot`.

I see my friend die his brains vaporise in the sky
I run and I jump and I scream and I cry
The tracer like fireflies bounce and spin from the mountain
But Ive got my `green maggot`

I have no more strength but I run like an athlete
In an Olympic gold medal race
The cold cuts my face but I care not a jot
I can feel Im alive
I want my `green maggot`

Im back in the womb snug cozy and content
Weve taken the objective I have two hours grace
I slip into dreamland full of warm pillows and saftey
How I love my `green maggot`


(RG) A green maggot is slang for an Army sleeping bag. Soldiers fighting infantry battles in the Falklands did not have this luxury.


© Mack (RG) The thoughts of a Falklands War Veteran.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pointless leaving spam it wont be published.