Sunday 2 February 2014

Family uncovers story of Milngavie soldier’s World War One sacrifice



A young Milngavie soldier’s moving last words to his family from the trenches of World War I have been revealed by his great-niece. Private Peter Gray Logan of the 5th Battalion Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) was killed at the Somme in 1916, in one of the bloodiest battles of the war. He was 22 years old. His great-niece Kathleen Logan has discovered three letters written during the brave young soldier’s two years on the front line. In the heartfelt correspondence from France to his family back home in Stewart Street, Peter tells of his homesickness and his longing for the war to be over. On Christmas Day, 1915, he told his brother William: “I could hardly settle down. I was that home sick. Ah, how I wish the thing was over.” Read more HERE  R.I.P.


WE WILL REMEMBER THEM

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pointless leaving spam it wont be published.