Friday 16 November 2007

Pilgrimage 2007.


The view from my room at the Union Jack Club.



Awaiting departure London Gatwick.


Touch down at Mount Pleasant Airport Falklands.



Rogue Gunner wishing his hat was in his pocket.



Well I’m back. Am I a changed man? We will have to wait and see. The one important factor about my trip was the question of was it worth it? For me the answer is most definitely YES. I thought yes before I went back and seeing those Islanders living their lives free and democratically just reinforced my thoughts. Sadly unlike many returning Iraq & Afghanistan veterans who will never get the recognition from their own country we were genuinely thanked and loved by the Islanders. The proudest moment was marching through the streets of Stanley with all the population clapping us it sent a shiver down my spine and a tear in my eye. Although the shiver was probably because of the driving sleet and snow and rain and freezing conditions. I know it is the Falklands but why were we told to bring shorts and sun cream? How the hell we didn’t freeze to death up on those mountains in 1982 God only knows as it was winter then. I only took about 200 photos and I had brought a memory card with over 2,000 but I will just post on here what I feel is relevant. I must point out that on the eve of our departure I was contemplating running away from it all but I knew I simply could not let myself and all of the people who have helped my achieve my return down. A thanks to all concerned especially SAMA (82) plus the Islanders , long may you live in peace and self determination.



© Mack (RG) The thoughts of a Falklands War Veteran.

Rogue_gunner_32_alpha@yahoo.co.uk
Boycott BP

2 comments:

  1. A long, long way to travel, I'm glad for you that it was worth it, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back mate.

    Hope everything goes a lot better from now on.

    Sincerely well done....KM

    ReplyDelete

Pointless leaving spam it wont be published.