Monday 24 September 2007

Major-General Sir Jeremy Moore Dies.



Major-General Sir Jeremy Moore , who died on Saturday aged 79, was the Commander of Land Forces during the Falklands War.
Already well known within the Royal Marines and the British Army as a gallant officer, the Falklands War in 1982 made Moore a household name in Britain, most of the English-speaking world, and in Argentina
Moore was on the point of retiring from the Royal Marines when the Argentines invaded the islands on April 2 1982.
The day before, while the Argentine invasion fleet was at sea, he had been handing back command of the Royal Marines to the Commandant General, Lieutenant-General Sir Steuart Pringle, who had just returned from convalescing after losing a leg in an IRA bomb attack. Read It Here

(RG) I am really sad to here of General Moore’s death, he was a very experienced military tactician and we were in good hands with him at the wheel in 1982. I actually met the General during the War. I can remember it clearly because he was wearing a plain green cold weather hat as opposed to our camouflaged ones. We were in some kind of barn and we were lying on the ground relaxing when he suddenly appeared from nowhere. Standing immediately to attention he soon told us to `Stand easy` (Relax) and he asked me where I was from. I told him Cumbria, he said that I should be used to the Falklands coming from that part of the world. Its such a pity he never made it back for the 25th anniversary this November, he was a Great General and will be sadly missed.

John Jeremy Moore born July 5 1928; died September 15 2007 RIP.



© Mack (RG) The thoughts of a Falklands War Veteran.
Rogue_gunner_32_alpha@yahoo.co.uk

4 comments:

  1. It's amazing in this day and age of communications that I missed the notice of his death for nearly a week. I normally think I'm up on the news but to have missed this is criminal, but then I thought back to why I might have missed it and realised that if I didn't read obituaries or come to blog sites I wouldn't have seen it. Here is a National Hero dying and do we celebrate his life, no we ignore it as it might be embarrassing in some way for our current masters.
    RIP

    ReplyDelete
  2. So long boss. Hope we meet up under soft black stars.

    End-ex

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kevlar says.... Come on RG Posh Spice might have farted or broken her finger nail or Wayne Rooneys bird might have spent £100,000 on a toothbrush, this country dosent give a toss about the Falklands now you might as well have fought in the Crusades, I think you are a good guy and I respect your service keep on fighting the good fight mate, we all have death to look forward to happily, hope you find some peace in November.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thats how I think of it Kevlar the Country I fought for is gone forever.But thanks for your comments there still are a few good men around.

    Mack.

    ReplyDelete

Pointless leaving spam it wont be published.