Sunday 6 May 2007

Angry? My wife calls me 'social Semtex'



Robert Lawrence, one of the icons of the Falklands war, is still hurting 25 years on. He tells Cassandra Jardine about his mental and physical wounds
Robert Lawrence is not angry with Margaret Beckett. He hopes her diplomatic tact in expressing "continuing regret" for both Argentine and British casualties in The Falklands Conflict isn't "misinterpreted" as a lack of enthusiasm for hanging on to the islands. Indeed, he is far more angry with others in Government to have much rage to spare for the Foreign Secretary. "Of course we regret all the lives lost," he says, with a dismissive shake of the head which was half blown away on Mount Tumbledown. Read It Here

I will go, I will go
When the fighting is over
To the land of Macleod
That I left to be a soldier
I will go, I will go
When we landed on the shore
And saw the foreign heather
We Knew that some would fall
And some would stay for ever
When we came back to the glen
Winter was turning
Our goods lay on the snow
And our houses were burning
I will go, I will go
"I will Go"



By the Scottish folk band The Corries. This song was the platoon song of
Lieutenant Robert Lawrence MC Scots Guards.


© Mack (RG) The thoughts of a Falklands War Veteran.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pointless leaving spam it wont be published.