Friday 22 October 2010

Therapeutic poetry for Veterans




For some strange reason after I was diagnosed with PTSD by a civilian doctor  I started to write poetry  amongst other things about the dark side of my mind. I found this a way of expressing my very personal inner thoughts and I believe that this did help me help myself. It took me a further three years of writing about my experiences in the Falklands War  with my book Watching Men Burn  which never entered my head as a young soldier. Little did I know I was in the process of gathering the material for the book during my time in the ranks. Finding poetry so therapeutic in helping my PTSD I have donated all of my poetry to the charity  Talking2minds  a groundbreaking new charity started by ex SAS trooper Bob Paxman who suffered with PTSD and would not accept that there was very little he could do about it. A long serving champion of veterans Remy Benoit who runs the American based web site Welcome Home Soldier  amongst others has kindly volunteered to publish a book of poetry with all the proceeds going to Talking 2minds a wonderful gesture. In this world full of greed and self indulgence this is a breath of fresh air, people helping others in need. When the book is available I will let my readers know via this web site.










Bookmark and Share

LinkShare Referral Program UK

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pointless leaving spam it wont be published.