Wednesday 21 February 2007

Traumatized US soldiers being treated in 'virtual Iraq'


Traumatized US soldiers are being treated for post-war psychological disorders by going out on patrol in a computer-generated ``virtual Iraq`` Skip Rizzo, a psychologist at the University of Southern California, has helped create a program that simulates life in the war zone for Iraq veterans suffering from conditions such as post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
The ground-breaking treatment allows soldiers to experience the sights, sounds and even the smells of a war-zone, courtesy of wrap-around goggles linked to a startlingly realistic virtual world
.Read It Here


(RG) As I am not medically qualified I can only give my humble opinion on this treatment as an ex-soldier who has been diagnosed with PTSD. I think I can understand where Skip Rizzo is coming from with his what I would consider controversial treatment, but it is in my opinion a very risky option, but then having PTSD especially untreated PTSD is risky as well so at least there are avenues being explored. We are all different and progress can be made by some not by others. I suppose like our Governments way of treating PTSD (Wait and see if a civilian GP picks it up) its better than ignorance and neglect. I hope this treatment helps even one veteran, but I just don’t know, the jury is out on this one. Thanks to Andrew for bringing this to my attention.



© Mack (RG) The thoughts of a Falklands War Veteran.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pointless leaving spam it wont be published.